Wednesday, September 26, 2012

For Whom the Duck Tolls!

Forgetting to set my alarm clock would not be the worst event in the world.  I have to fall back plans.  Every morning, my lovely host mother taps on my door to let me know that breakfast will be on the table.  However, that is not the first call to wake up.  The next-door neighbors have a duck, and that duck has taken it upon itself to let everyone in squawking range know that the sun has risen. 

Much obliged, Duckie.

To continue,  I have been in the town of Samtredia for 3 days now and it is lovely.  I live in a pretty sizable house with a host mother and grandmother.  We have been able to hurdle my lack of Georgian with an interesting mixture of Russian, English, and plenty of mime.  So far, so good.

I have been trying my best to expand on the little Georgian that was taught during our orientation.  The quicker, the better.  The reasons for this are pretty straightforward:
1. Communicate with the locals.
2. Fill in the gaps in conversation with my host grandmother.  If there is a gap, she will get some food and tell me to eat.

Side note:  I definitely know the imperative form of the Georgian verb 'to eat'.

Other things that I have learned:

-I am too skinny.
-I should have a boyfriend.
-A Georgian man would do nicely in this respect.
-It's always sweater weather.

Everyone has been so kind and welcoming.  Having a guest is a point of honor and pride here in Georgia.

Yesterday, I went on an excursion with the 12th grade class (about 20 students).  Instead of iPods, they had guitars and sang traditional Georgian songs throughout the field trip.  We went to Prometheus Cave (massive cave at least 80m deep), Sataplia (=Land of Honey.  It's nature reserve with dinosaur footprints from the Jurassic period and another cave), and Brigid's cathedral in Kutaisi.  Pictures will follow.

I'm settling in nicely and cannot wait to share more.

Cheers,

xK






5 comments:

  1. Dinosaur footprints?!? Those are pictures I want to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I like the "other things" you have learned list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I like the "other things" you have learned list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me want to move to Georgia, Republic of!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! The pictures are amazing, and I'm wicked impressed with the guitar vs. ipod field trip entertainment! Sounds like you'e having a great time. Enjoy and explore on, as always!

    ReplyDelete